Air conditioners are a key component of keeping your home cool and comfortably, especially in the summer months. When the heat is driving you crazy and your AC breaks down, you may not want to sit idly by in the sweltering heat while waiting for a professional to come to your home and fix it, especially if they can’t do it the same day. Most of the time, just popping open a window or running a fan isn’t enough on a particularly hot summer day. There are a surprising number of instances in which you are able to diagnose and repair a broken AC on your own, although ultimately if it’s a big issue you need to be sure and call a professional air conditioning repair company. Read on to learn more about some basic troubleshooting tips and some of the most common issues and solutions so that you are able to get your AC back up and running. Williams & Fogg Mechanical is a top HVAC in the Richmond area. If you’re looking for an “HVAC near me,” call Williams & Fogg Mechanical today!
Tips For Troubleshooting
While you’ll need a professional for the big issues, sometimes the problem is just a small glitch you can fix on your own. Here are some basic troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure the thermostat is set properly- sometimes fixing your air conditioner is as simple as learning how to set the thermostat properly. If set incorrectly, your air conditioner may not work the way that you want it to. You may have your thermostat set to heat rather than air conditioning, so if this happens, you may have hot air coming out of your air conditioning vents; an easy enough mistake when the seasons change. Double-check that the thermostat is set properly before you make the assumption your AC unit is broken.
- Change the thermostat batteries- Have you looked at the batteries in your thermostat lately? If you haven’t changed the batteries in a long time, then you may be dealing with a dead battery. Without functioning batteries, the thermostat is unable to communicate with the air conditioning unit
- Replace the air filter- If the filter gets too dirty, the air is unable to flow properly. This means that your air conditioner won’t be able to work as well or perhaps at all. Modern air conditioners in particular are very sensitive to dirty air filters. If you can’t bring to mind the last time you changed the filters, you should change them now.
We Provide Air Conditioning Repair
- Check your circuit breaker- One thing that you should do before looking for an “HVAC near me” is to try checking your circuit breaker. If the circuit breaker that connects to the air conditioner has been tripped, then you will have to reset it.
- Check the air vents and make sure all of your air ducts and vents are clear. If they are clogged by dust or dirt, then the air is unable to flow properly; simply cleaning your air vents could be the answer to your problems. There also may be issues within the air ducts that you are unable to see. Things such as mold or vermin infestation can prevent your AC from functioning like it should.
Contact Us Today
There are things you should check with your air conditioning before you call a professional. Williams & Fogg Mechanical provides air conditioning repair in the Richmond area. If you’re looking for an “HVAC near me,” call Williams & Fogg Mechanical today!